Thursday, April 12, 2007

Response to Sirc

OK, let’s collect my thoughts while reading this text:
First piece:
I could not understand the way he framed the only “historical box” (as Sirc calls them) that I knew little about (this is Benjamin). Sirc attaches to a Marxist philosopher a bourgeoisie conceptualization of the collector? Puzzled here.
“the student is a cyber-flâneur in the virtual urban”??? well, I guess it is a little different the way centuries ago the term “flâneur” was being conceptualized by these guys who were breaking their heads trying to break a romance conception of authorship and re-framing it in a heavily-political-embedded context. They were devoting their lives to this, not only going for credits. Puzzled here as well.
Authors and more authors quoting authors. Orphan page numbers between parentheses. Sirc text is a big box with mixed things. Puzzled again.
Sirc wants passion out of their students by following an artist way of living and conceptualizing art? By developing those skills? But the flâneur is immersed in experience, is an object of art, does not “acquire it”! Oh, and OK: they start the virtual urban tour in his website. Puzzled one more time.
Second piece:
Well, I guess I got the idea and foundation of the activities by reading them. But I would definitively invest more in the reflective commentary. I loved the idea of the teacher as a curator and the class as a museum, with its institutional frame. A couple of pieces of the puzzle matched!
And having finished the text, I will collect the pieces of my puzzled brain, hold hands with my Dionysian side, put myself in a box and go to bed.

Challenge:
Do you think the website foundmagazine.com would pass Sirc composition course with flying colors? Now: who would the grade belong to? Is collective composition part of the new technologies of composing?

No comments: